Friday, June 17, 2011

How Often Should I Get Massage?

Quite frequently I am asked how often a person should get massage.  Depending on the circumstance my answer varies.  Are there health risks?  Injuries?  Chronic Pain?   Other factors besides the client's overall health must also be considered when attempting to intelligently answer this question.  Are there financial hardships?  Commuting considerations?  Scheduling conflicts with work or childcare?  Once I have all the facts then I can better answer this question.

If there is an injury that we are trying to repair, I might suggest my client come for massage twice weekly for a while and then taper down the treatments as we see notable improvement.  If the client presents with chronic pain issues, I tell the client that it took a long time for this pain to bring them to my office, so they should not expect overnight success. We might be able to reduce some pain after one session but it will take several massage sessions to return the body to the desired state.  If the client is seeing another health-care professional, I  will coordinate treatment plans and sometimes let the other party dictate frequency and the type massage the client should receive.

My new and improved extended answer is:  The client should evaluate their pain level after the massage and compare it to their pain prior to getting a massage.  I also ask the client to mentally measure how long their pain was diminished after their massage.  An hour?  Day?  Three days? Week? Longer?  Then I tell the client that if they notice their pain level has reached the point that it was before their last massage appointment, then it is probably time for them to schedule another massage. 

But how often should a person come if they are in good health?  My reply is generally that it is a good idea to get a massage at least once every three weeks, but if the client can afford to come more often, it will only benefit them to do so.  I also recommend the client book a 90-minute massage so I can address as much of the body as possible without rushing the treatment.  Plus I can spend a little extra time on the problem areas.

Pretty simple ideas but sometimes the easiest answers are overlooked.

1 comment:

  1. How do you make sure you're in a safe relationship?, how do you make sure they're not playing with your emotions and all that?. Kindly reach out to this cyber expert 'hackingloop6@gmail. com', also reaches him via WhatsApp + 1 484 540 - 0785, he's a legit and reliable hacker who specializes in exposing cheating spouses, by hacking into their phone, monitoring their phone activities and gaining remote access to their phone activities. He also upgrades Credit score and clearing of unwanted records.his services are affordable.

    ReplyDelete