Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mental Health Day

I have been battling a nasty bug for the past week and in an effort to not pass my icky germs to clients, I have not been doing any massages.  Today was the first day that I reported to work since last Thursday and although I am feeling better I am still not sitting on top of the world.  So this morning when the alarm went off I actually thought about staying home one more day to really try and feel better, but knowing that next week was going to be a short week due to Memorial Day and the weekend coming up is my son's wedding, I knew there was little wiggle room on rescheduling so working was going to be necessary.  But this morning,  it was like I regressed back to my childhood days when I prayed for snow accumulation so school would be called off.  Instead of waiting to hear the radio announcement that school was closed, I waited to hear my cell phone ring with a client cancellation.  When no phone call came, I drug my behind out of bed.

Let me clarify that most days it is very easy for me to get up and look forward to working.  I mean I do have a pretty low stress job and the pay is decent so it makes it easier to get motivated.  The fact that I am the boss and I happen to like all the office staff  improves my work mood as well.  Interacting with some of my clients is always a good time too.  But......occasionally I have one of those days.  You know the ones when you just do not feel like working?  You hit the snooze button more than once and ask yourself what would happen if you just stayed home and relaxed.  You feel your forehead and convince yourself that you must be running a low-grade fever.  You look longingly at the beach photo on your nightstand and wish you were back there soaking up the sun.  Then you glance at your calendar and think it must be time for a vacation.

Today was one of those days for me.  So after I do four massages today, I will be taking a mental health day.  I will be curled up in bed watching bad movies.  I will eat junk food.  I will surf the internet for a sexy vacation spot and maybe I will even turn off my cell phone.  Then hopefully I will bounce out of bed tomorrow and be ready to greet whatever the day brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment