Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day

This day was set aside to remember soldiers that bravely served their county and ultimately lost their lives in war.  Memorial Day was started by freed slaves, after the Civil War, who wanted to honor slain Union soldiers.  They showed their respect by putting spring flowers on the graves of the fallen.  Later they extended the recognition to the Confederate soldiers too.  Since then our country has been involved in numerous wars and many lives have been lost. 

When I was younger I did not know the significance of this holiday.  I associated Memorial Day as the day that the city pools opened for swimmers and our family got together for a cookout.  Now that I am an adult and understand the true meaning of Memorial Day, I hope to remind others of the day's importance.  This year I hope you will join me in remembering all the brave souls that represented our country and fought for our freedom.  If you have loved ones in the service, my heart goes out to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment