Monday, March 21, 2011

March Madness

For college hoops fans there is nothing better than watching all the great tournament games in March.  For the folks living with us who are not huge fans of sporting events....not so much.  My poor husband has learned that anytime UK basketball is on the television I will be watching.  What Hubby failed to understand was that during March Madness there are too many good games being played to limit myself to following only one team.  I bleed blue but I can still appreciate a Duke/UNC match-up and although Rick Pitino coaches that other team in Kentucky, I still love to watch him lead his team into battle.  Now toss in a game where I want the scouting report for our next opponent and you will have a pretty good idea of what March Madness is like in our house.  Basically it is a whole lot of camping out in front of the TV with  really bad junk food and not a whole lot of anything else.

Watching hoops takes preparation time too.  Since most games last an average of two hours, one must line up the cosmos so there are as few interruptions as possible.  In my house there is the all important Big Blue dress code.  I must don the UK hoodie, the hand-made UK earrings and some comfy sweatpants.  But the prep work doesn't end there.  Heavens no!   I line up the remote controls, and program the channels so I can hop from game to game with the touch of just one button.  I put a can of Mt. Dew in the freezer so it gets to just the right temperature--you know not a slushy but a few ice crystals floating around?  I usually have chocolate or chips, or both, on-hand for stress relievers.   I keep my cell phone at my side for texting  friends and family members with game updates and commentary. (Ex. These refs suck!)  I also keep my day planner and ink pen nearby in case a non-basketballer calls for a massage appointment. Once these things are in place, it is time to get my basketball Jones on.

When the game tips off I cheer, yell at the refs, offer coaching tips, chastise players for bonehead shots,  hex the opposing team when they are shooting free throws, etc.  In my mind this is how I envision everyone watches basketball games.  This is what I saw my parents do and it became my M.O. as well.  I never realized just how odd this behavior looked until  last month.  I was visiting my in-laws and they were kind enough to let me hijack their TV so I could watch the UK/Arkansas game.  After UK took a stab at a 3-pointer and missed it, I yelled "OH COME ON!".  My poor mother in-law nearly jumped off the couch.  After she jumped the third time I told my husband to assure her that I was mentally stable and the yelling was perfectly normal.....just ask the 23K at Rupp Arena if you doubt me.

When the season ends I cannot help but be a little sad.  What keeps me going?  Knowing that it will all start up again in November.  Until then I will be up to my eyeballs in basketball madness and loving every minute! 

No comments:

Post a Comment