Monday, January 17, 2011

Too Hot to Handle

When I work with clients,  I use natural oil blends that are gently scented with essential oils.  My oils have various aromatherapy properties and in most cases the client does not need to wash them off as they are absorbed into the skin to give additional moisturizing treatments.  Occasionally I use Tiger Balm on my clients.  Tiger Balm is an herbal ointment remedy from Asia that has been used as a pain reliever for many generations.
Tiger Balm deeply penetrates the body, warms the tissue by promoting blood flow to the area, and produces mild pain relief.  The healing properties are amazing.  The scent, not so much.  Unless of course you are into cloves and menthol.  If  the scent does not appeal to you, the good news is that it does not last very long. 

I sell Tiger Balm at my clinic.  I advise my clients that when they apply the ointment they should be mindful that there is a time delay before the ingredients kick in and start to heat up the underlying tissue of the body.  I also tell them that they should be aware that hand washing is very important when you use Tiger Balm and that a little goes a long way. 

Last week a client bought some Tiger Balm at the local co-op so he did not get to hear my speech about the precautions one should take when using this product.  Needless to say, this fellow did not wash his hands after the application.  The term hot sausage took on a whole new meaning.......

No comments:

Post a Comment