Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Dance

For some unknown reason I regress back to being a 10 year old when there is snow in the forecast.  I open the blinds so I can keep a sharp watch out for that first snowflake.  I check the forecast with eager anticipation.  Then I perform a ritual of mine known as the snow dance, my calling upon the sky for snow showers.   Those of you who have never been unfortunate enough to witness this bizarre practice of mine should try to envision Jim Morrison doing his shaman dance and you will get a pretty good idea of what I would like my snow dance to resemble.  Alas I have not mastered the hippie coolness that Mr Mo Jo Rison personifies, so my dance looks a bit like a River Dancer having a seizure.  But I figure if you have already committed yourself to doing a snow dance then it probably won't matter if spectators think you look like the village idiot.  In my case it doesn't.

You might wonder why exactly that I do the dance.  I snow dance for a couple of reasons.  First reason being that I like to stay young at heart and there is nothing like a goofy dance to keep youth alive.  Secondly, I like to reach out with that one ounce of my Native American blood and call to nature like my ancestors did.  I know you are probably thinking that they danced for rain and that snow was not something that people living in tepees were excited to see, but I like to imagine there was some young Indian maiden that looked forward to a blanket of white magic.  In the serenity of watching the snowfall I can almost picture her dancing.

So if you are watching the snow fall and grumbling that the kids are out of school.....again, reflect on how you are warm, fed and sheltered.  The white stuff is going to be around for a while so we might as well enjoy it.  Today, after you do your duty as a good Southerner and dash out to buy the milk and bread, why not do the snow dance and let your inner child marvel at this gorgeous winter wonderland?

No comments:

Post a Comment