Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Deja Vu

This weekend one of my quasi  hippie gal pals and I ventured out into the blizzard to attend a mystical paranormal fair.  On my way there I couldn't help but wonder if these mystics, who were so in touch with the unknown, could have planned the event on a day without a snow advisory.  I also had to chuckle when my friend's husband asked if we had ever questioned why we had never heard about a psychic picking the winning lottery numbers.  So, yeah, I knew the odds of us receiving some mystical revelation was slim to none, but I figured it would be an interesting outing nonetheless.

After paying a $5 entry fee and receiving a pamphlet outlining the ESP du jour, our great adventure began.  The receptionist told us that if we were unsure what therapy or reading we wanted to experience, we should roam the hallways until we felt "called" to a particular person.  Our mystical offerings to choose from were:  past lives and tarot readings, crystal therapies, ghost hunters, mediums, dowsing, clairvoyants, color therapy,  and energy and chakra balancing.  My friend opted for the life path tarot reading and  I felt "called" to the clairvoyant/color therapist.  Unfortunately my mystic had what sounded like a major bad mojo conference going down behind Curtain Number 2 so I had to wait for another psychic to reach out and touch me.  When I didn't get a "calling" I simply chose to try the same reader that my friend had visited.

As I waited for my friend's reading to end, curiosity got the better of me and I eavesdropped on her conversation.....okay not in the sense of it being an illegal wiretap, but I figured if they really were concerned about their psychic secrets getting overheard then they probably should have a real door for privacy instead of a curtain they picked up at Wal-mart.  A great deal of information was shared  between my friend and the reader. In fact, it seemed that my friend had hit the mother lode of fortune telling, so I began to eagerly anticipate what my reading might reveal.

Finally my turn rolled around and I entered the room with both skepticism and excitement.  The skeptic in me refused to let me tell the reader anything important about my life, so I only offered her my name and the name of my business.  After briefly holding my hands, she shuffled her tarot cards and began to read my life path.  With only the information that I gave her, she "saw" a great betrayal that would come to light in 1 or 2 days, a mental illness in my family,  and that my business was going to prosper.  She said yoga was going to become an important part of my business (which we just added 3 weeks ago) and she saw a publication that was going to add to my success.  (For arguments sake lets say she saw my blog)  My reading was quicker than my friend's and I left feeling like I had just blown $15 because I thought the reader was off her rocker about the betrayal -and- anyone with half a brain could guess yoga and massage would partner up successfully. 

Two days after my reading and a great betrayal later, I have to say that I am a believer.  Now if I can find a credible voodoo doll maker........

No comments:

Post a Comment