Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Two Words: It hurts

Whenever I work with clients that have psoas issues, I tend to flash back to the scene in Braveheart when the English are torturing William Wallace by ripping his intestines out.  If you think I am exaggerating with this comparison, then you probably have never had this muscle massaged.  Two words: It. Hurts.

The psoas (pronounced Sew Az) is located deep in the abdomen, beneath the abdominal contents....which probably explains why one of my text books says it "may be challenging to palpate" this muscle.  Really?  Ya think?   When I used to teach abdominal massage, I brought donuts to the classroom so I could make nice before I watched the students writhe in pain and utter words that would make a sailor blush.  I also offered the disclaimer that if they wanted to keep clients, then they should never, ever work on the psoas on the first massage appointment.

The job of the psoas is to flex the hip and help stabilize the low back.  Many times when I work with clients that are complaining of severe lower back pain or chronic lower back problems, I will suggest the psoas stretch.  I launch a sales pitch that any plaid-jacket wearing, greasy haired, used car salesman would envy and since most clients will try anything if they think it will make their pain go away, I can usually sell them on the idea that a little pain now might mean a lot less pain later.  A great number of clients that have allowed me to do this massage have seen positive results almost immediately.

So the next time you find yourself in my lobby, waiting for your massage appointment, and you hear a loud voice complaining about how something hurts....please don't automatically assume that I am working on a psoas--the client might have been in pain before he/she came to see me!

No comments:

Post a Comment