Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hocus Poke Us

Today I saw a charming 74-year old gentleman who told me his right shoulder was sore and it was probably a result of his "poling".  Poling, he explained, is when you take a small boat out and rather than using oars or a motor, you use a pole to push off and navigate your craft through swamps.  Besides the poling injury, he was also battling what he described as a "summer cold", which meant several times I had to stop massaging and fetch tissues.  When I started to massage the back of his head, I told him that my work should help his sinuses.  Almost immediately he shouted "I'll be damned! My right nostril is open!"  After a few more minutes of neck and head work, I moved to his injured shoulder and told him that the massage might be painful at times but I felt like I could help him.  He allowed me to work on his arm and shoulder joint even though it was a bit painful.  I was able to get him some relief and to show him how successful his treatment was, I had him extend and flex his arm to test his range of motion.  After a couple of minutes of him waving his arm and being amazed at there not being any pain, he looked up at me and asked how I had fixed him.   I wiggled my fingers and jokingly said "Magic Hands".  The smile left his face and his eyes got big and with all seriousness he said "ARE YOU A WITCH?"

1 comment: