Thursday, November 18, 2010

Working Out

When I became a massage therapist, I became a fitness consultant by osmosis.  So in my role of fitness/health guru,  I advised countless clients that they needed to stretch more and encouraged them to try yoga to increase their flexibility.   I was always admonishing clients for not properly hydrating or not listening to their bodies.  I asked my clients to invest in their futures by making healthier lifestyle choices.  On the outside I simply radiated health and fitness in my every breath.  On the inside I knew that I was merely talking the talk but not walking the walk, so my  Jimmeny Cricket voice began whispering "Hypocrite".   It was only when Jimmeny started yelling that I decided to heed my own advice.

About three months ago,  I began working out with a personal trainer.  Mind you, the original goal was not to get in shape and be healthier, but to look good for my son's upcoming wedding.  I could  have listed at least 10 different reasons on why doing yoga and Pilates was important, but in the end my vanity was the greatest motivator.   I began working out once a week and my inner voice backed off a bit.  The voice still occasionally  reminded me that I was not truly focusing on my health as much as I needed to be, since I was more concerned with the number on my scales and how my clothes were fitting than how my body actually felt. 

So I started working out two days a week and an odd thing happened...... I actually began to enjoy physical exercise.   (Though I will have to say that first abdominal crunch session was not  particularly a rockin' good time!)  I enjoyed my exercise routine so much that I offered a group yoga class at my office this week so I could share my excitement with others.  Stretching. Flexibility. Hydration.  All those benefits I once only spoke about were now part of my fitness plan.  No more talking the talk, I was walking the walk.

But if that fricking cricket starts making noise again, I might have to get out the Raid.

No comments:

Post a Comment